Monday, June 24, 2013

Vazhakkai Varuval / Plantain Fry | Indian Side Dishes

Vazhakkai is not something that is frequently featured in my kitchen. I pick this humble vegetable rarely when I go shopping and when I pick it goes for making bajjis (batter coated fritters).  This time I thought I would cook something other than bajjis and to please a bajji lover at home I made this simple fry. Also check out my Vazhakkai Podimas which I had made earlier.


Ingredients:
Plantain / Vazhaikai - 1
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tsp
Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
Salt - to taste
Water - a few teaspoons
Method:
Cut the ends of the plantain and peel the skin. Cut into two and drop into boiling water and cook in medium heat for about 10-15 minutes or until a knife inserted can pass through it easily. When done, drain and allow it to cool. Mix the other ingredients to form a paste. Slice the cooled plantains to thin discs and mix with the spice paste. Set aside covered for 10-15 minutes. In a flat pan, heat 1 tsp of oil and place the plantain pieces and cook about 3-4 minutes on each side or until crispy. Serve as an appetizer or a side for rice and curry. I could just snack on these beauties.

9 comments:

Do leave your valuable comments here!
I appreciate any critical comment which helps improve my posts, although inappropriate and rude comments will not be published.